A urinary tract infection is a common health problem in cats. It causes pain and requires a veterinary consultation. Discover the causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and preventive measures!
The causes of a urinary tract infection in cats
Urinary tract infection in cats can have different causes. It is necessary to consult a veterinarian.
- A urinary tract infection can be of bacterial origin. The bacteria is Escherichia coli.
- Cat stress can cause a urinary tract infection. It’s about a idiopathic cystitis.
- An underlying disease such as a diabetic sugara chronic renal failure or even a hypothyroidism can be the source of a urinary tract infection in cats.
- THE urinary stones or “urolithiasis” are mineral deposits that form in the urinary tract. We usually notice the presence of calcium oxalate stones or of struvite.
Symptoms of a UTI in Cats
When the cat has a urinary tract infection, it may urinate more often than usual (small urination). He may also show signs of pain with meows. It is important to take a good look at the color of his urinebecause it is possible that it is colored (pink/red, presence of blood: hematuria). The feline regularly licks the area around the genitals and seems less active.
Diagnosis and treatment
In order to find out if the cat is indeed suffering from a urinary tract infection, the veterinarian carries out a urine analysis. He can also make a ultrasound to check for stones and to feel the stomach and bladder. Concerning the treatment, the practitioner can prescribe antibiotics to suppress the bacterial infection. I’therapeutic feeding Also involved in medical treatment to help dissolve urinary stones and prevent the risk of recurrence.
If the cat suffers from idiopathic cystitisit is important to reduce the stress of the animal by promoting a serene environment.
Urinary tract infection in cats: what to do in prevention?
- The cat must benefit from fresh and clean water. A good hydration promotes the dilution of urine and helps prevent the formation of urinary stones.
- There litter must be clean without any unpleasant smell. A healthy environment reduces the risk of bacterial growth.
- I’environment must be rich in entertainment (toys, hiding places, platforms…). Stress can lead to UTI in cats.
- I’cat food must be of high quality and adapted to its physiology. Bi-nutrition should be preferred (kibbles and pâtés). The Ultra Premium Direct brand has just marketed kibble for sterilized cat in order to guarantee a healthy urinary system.